An Unnatural Choice
BY MARY HODDER ROSS
One decision changed my life.
It was the one thing I would never tell anyone. But over the years that followed, I came to understand that the only way to reclaim my life was to share my story—a story of love, loss, pain, and ultimate redemption. It is the truth of what happened to me, now between the covers of this book you hold.
It is how I came to believe that the most powerful victories are not glorious but simple, quiet admissions that illuminate our interconnected human experience. What one decision, one thing, one event hides inside you, waiting to be revealed? What do you carry in the shadows that would free you if you shared it with others, on the page or even over coffee with an old friend?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
“Adoption is two sides of a single coin. One side is a gift. The other side is sacrifice.”
At twenty-one, Mary Hodder Ross was a promising young student, the first in her family to attend university, and unexpectedly pregnant. In this poignant memoir of love and sacrifice, Ross opens up about the impossible choice to give up her child in secret and the impacts of this difficult decision on the decades that followed.
Exploring the complexities of motherhood and the weight of secrecy and silence on our families, Ross shares her journey to overcome lingering shame and speak her truth after a lifetime of silence. Heartbreaking, inspiring and ultimately uplifting, An Unnatural Choice is a powerful story of self-acceptance.
Richly written and deeply empathetic, Ross’ experiences will resonate with anyone who has struggled to come to terms with life’s most challenging decisions and find the empathy required to live with honesty and compassion.
Imprint: The Self Publishing Agency
On Sale: 05/15/2019
List Price: 19.45 CAD
BISAC1: NON FICTION / Adoption
BISAC2: NON FICTION / Memoir
Awards: Winner of the 2020 Canadian Book Club Awards: Non Fiction
- The Common Wifemegan2020-06-15T21:20:54+00:00
- Voice of a Wildfiremegan2020-06-13T00:21:14+00:00
- Finn and the Friends of the Forestmegan2020-05-25T22:07:43+00:00
- Can’t Breathe: A Memoirmegan2020-05-25T22:11:01+00:00
- Smart Petsmegan2020-05-01T19:03:03+00:00
- Living In The Redmegan2020-04-30T22:58:36+00:00
- Mama Needs A Vacaymegan2020-04-30T22:46:54+00:00
- Analogies, Energies & Celestial Bodiesmegan2020-04-30T22:46:48+00:00
- Mama Needs A Drinkmegan2020-04-30T23:01:44+00:00
- Demons at the Doorstepmegan2020-04-30T22:47:15+00:00
- An Unnatural Choicemegan2020-04-30T22:47:09+00:00
- The Accomplishment Journalmegan2020-04-30T22:59:23+00:00
- Girl it’s Not You (it’s definitely him)megan2020-04-30T23:01:58+00:00
- Empower Your Worthmegan2020-04-30T22:59:53+00:00
- Our Interrupted Fairy Talemegan2020-04-30T22:48:55+00:00
- The Adventures of Richard & Robertmegan2020-04-26T21:07:41+00:00
- Warriors & Heroes of a Different Kindmegan2020-04-26T21:43:52+00:00
- The Soul Union: The Conclusion to The Soul Contractmegan2020-04-26T21:44:46+00:00
- Own Your Piece of the Earth: Everything You Need to Know about Mortgages in Canada’s Major Housing Marketsmegan2020-04-26T21:45:57+00:00
- The HR Insider: How to land your dream job, and keep it!megan2020-04-26T21:46:54+00:00
- Awaken The Wildness Withinmegan2020-04-26T22:13:32+00:00
- Newport Janemegan2020-04-26T21:48:40+00:00
- The Final Swipe: Heal Your Heart, Find Your Person, and End the Dating Search for Goodmegan2020-04-26T21:49:57+00:00
- My Sober Little Moonmegan2020-04-26T21:50:44+00:00
- I Don’t Want Tomegan2020-04-26T22:22:24+00:00
- Beneath This Skyemegan2020-04-30T22:49:50+00:00
- The Unravellingmegan2020-04-30T22:50:05+00:00
- Don’t Call The Officemegan2020-04-30T22:48:35+00:00
- Finn and the Magic Backpackmegan2020-04-30T23:00:39+00:00
- Begin Within: A Memoir of Self-Destructive Dating and Self-Discovering Divinitymegan2020-04-30T22:49:24+00:00