The Common Wife
BY LINDY HUGHES
For anyone who has felt, even for a moment, the ‘missingness’ of an unlived life and wondered what to do about it.
When Lindy’s husband discovers that she has been living a secret life as a burlesque dancer, the glitter hits the fan. Perimenopause (whatever that is) does not help matters, and Lindy finds herself in increasingly compromising situations: there is Thor, the stuntman from Texas, Satya with the dreadlocks and camper-van, beautiful Adam, and the Crazy.
In the midst of a hot flush, Lindy remembers her destiny (bestowed on her by Father Ignatius at Catholic school when she was fifteen years old) to save the world. So, on her fifty-first birthday, she tells her husband that she can no longer be married. She needs to find her Big Life, the one that doesn’t include a picket-fence house in the suburbs with a minivan in the driveway. Since her husband is, above all, a practical man, he suggests that she go for a walk to think about things before making any final decisions.
Forgetting that she doesn’t like walking, Lindy heads to Northern Spain with her purple backpack, Petunia. With blistered toes and a swollen ankle, she stomps along the sacred soil of the Camino de Santiago in search of God (if he exists), forgiveness (if that is possible), and herself (whomever the hell that is). With no guidebook and no sense of direction, she gets lost. Very lost. In that lostness, she is forced to stare the serpent in the eye, have it out with Jesus, and face her naked truth.
A cross between Bridget Jones’s Diary and Eat, Pray, Love, this is the audaciously honest, irreverent memoir of one woman’s pilgrimage to the Ends of the Earth.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Growing up in South Africa, Lindy Hughes dreamed of becoming a writer. She graduated from university with an honours degree in English literature, which she parlayed into a teaching job. Several years later, she decided to pursue a degree in psychology, to help her better understand the people around her. When her delayed writing aspirations exploded in a full-fledged midlife crisis, her husband sent her (and her laptop) on vacation to Las Vegas, where she finally began her first novel, It Never Stays in Vegas. She lives today with her husband and their children in Vancouver, British Columbia, where she continues to enjoy the happy challenge of trying to figure out her life and the people in it.
ISBN 10: 098135081X
Imprint: Shongololo Books
On Sale: 11/23/2019
List Price: 15.99 CAD
BISAC1: NON FICTION / Memoir / Adventure travel guides
BISAC2: NON FICTION / Memoir / Dance
- Be Safe and Mightymegan2020-09-23T06:43:25+00:00
- Lions in the Grass: A Marketing Insider’s Guide to Mass Persuasion (and Why You Want the Sh!t You Want)megan2020-09-23T06:44:15+00:00
- teardrops + confettimegan2020-09-23T06:46:59+00:00
- Lou Who?megan2020-08-31T03:17:24+00:00
- The Common Wifemegan2020-08-31T03:00:42+00:00
- Voice of a Wildfiremegan2020-08-31T03:01:27+00:00
- Can’t Breathe: A Memoirmegan2020-08-31T03:47:48+00:00
- Smart Petsmegan2020-08-31T03:03:44+00:00
- Living In The Redmegan2020-08-31T03:04:40+00:00
- Mama Needs A Vacaymegan2020-08-31T03:05:04+00:00
- Analogies, Energies & Celestial Bodiesmegan2020-08-31T03:05:26+00:00
- Mama Needs A Drinkmegan2020-08-31T03:05:51+00:00
- Demons at the Doorstepmegan2020-08-31T03:06:34+00:00
- An Unnatural Choicemegan2020-08-31T03:07:04+00:00
- The Accomplishment Journalmegan2020-08-31T03:07:57+00:00
- Girl it’s Not You (it’s definitely him)megan2020-08-31T03:08:22+00:00
- Empower Your Worthmegan2020-08-31T02:57:58+00:00
- Our Interrupted Fairy Talemegan2020-04-30T22:48:55+00:00
- The Adventures of Richard & Robertmegan2020-08-31T02:59:43+00:00
- Warriors & Heroes of a Different Kindmegan2020-08-31T02:23:40+00:00
- The Soul Union: The Conclusion to The Soul Contractmegan2020-08-31T02:25:02+00:00
- Own Your Piece of the Earth: Everything You Need to Know about Mortgages in Canada’s Major Housing Marketsmegan2020-08-31T03:00:11+00:00
- The HR Insider: How to land your dream job, and keep it!megan2020-08-31T03:19:09+00:00
- Awaken The Wildness Withinmegan2020-08-31T03:20:22+00:00
- Newport Janemegan2020-08-31T03:21:47+00:00
- The Final Swipe: Heal Your Heart, Find Your Person, and End the Dating Search for Goodmegan2020-08-31T03:23:05+00:00
- My Sober Little Moonmegan2020-08-31T03:24:25+00:00
- I Don’t Want Tomegan2020-04-26T22:22:24+00:00
- Beneath This Skyemegan2020-08-31T03:25:04+00:00
- The Unravellingmegan2020-08-31T03:28:59+00:00
- Don’t Call The Officemegan2020-04-30T22:48:35+00:00
- Finn and the Magic Backpackmegan2020-08-31T03:30:15+00:00
- Begin Within: A Memoir of Self-Destructive Dating and Self-Discovering Divinitymegan2020-08-31T03:31:24+00:00
- Finn and the Friends of the Forestmegan2020-08-31T03:48:44+00:00